The MFA Years follows the experiences of fifteen first year MFA/MA poetry, fiction and creative nonfiction students every academic year. Our contributors discuss their experiences adjusting to graduate school life and the MFA.
We’re officially looking for our next group of first year contributors. Applications will be accepted until June 30. We will be taking five writers each in poetry, fiction and nonfiction. In the last few months we’ve averaged around 20,000 page views per month. Our readership is growing and we’d love for you to join us.
If you’re interested, read the eligibility requirements and application instructions below. You can browse through posts from our current contributors here. If you have any questions about the application please contact us.
You must be starting your first year in an MFA program or an MA program with a creative writing emphasis this fall. This is also open to students who will be studying at programs outside of the U.S.
You must be willing to blog once a month (September-April/May) about your experiences as a first year student.
Please put [GENRE] First Year Contributor Application in the subject of your email. Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1st with the following information:
- Your name
- Name of program
- Type of degree (MFA or MA) and type of residency (full-res or low-res)
- If you will be receiving funding of some kind
In addition, answer the questions below:
- Why do you want to be a first year contributor for The MFA Years?
- What is your background as a writer?
- Do you feel you can balance your first of graduate work with writing for us?
- Favorite book you read in the past year (this is so we can get to know you a little better)
- Anything else you think might be relevant that hasn’t been covered above